Let me catch you up to speed.
I actually got my chance to work with fondant via Tresye's help and I couldn't have been more excited! It actually is easier than it seems, however possibly just as tedious. I tried baking a cake on my own for a friend's Thanksgiving get together and I had to nix the fondant idea due to the lack of time. I'll really have to set up a play date where I can comfortably experiment with it on my own. Anyhow, here's the turnout from my workshop with Treyse:


The cake itself wasn't vegan, however, I discovered that fondant is!
A new recipe I've played around with is Spaghetti Napolitan, which is an Italian-inspired Japanese-style dish.

If I remember correctly this recipe consisted of:
-spaghetti (I used a package of instant ramen)
-1/3 chopped onion
-1/2 can artichoke heart
-2 TBSP minced garlic
-2 TBSP Earth Balance
-1 vegan patty
-Ketchup
Yes, ketchup. That's how the asians roll.
You start off by sautéing your garlic, onion, and artichoke (or whatever other vegetables you want) in a pan via the Earth Balance, while bringing a pot of water to a boil to cook your spaghetti. Add your vegan patty before your vegetables have brown (let it defrost in the pan and chop it into smaller pieces with your spatula, or a knife and fork if you choose, once its had a chance to warm up a bit). Once your sauté has browned and your spaghetti is cooked, turn off the heat from your pain and drain your pasta. Then add the spaghetti to your sauté pan and proceed to mix your ingredients together. Once your satisfied, add your ketchup. Not too much! Just enough to marinate your dish and add a little flavor.
I was actually very surprised by the turnout. I was skeptical about the whole ketchup thing the entire time I was cooking, and this coming from a ketchup lover!
I threw together a quick cucumber salad on the side, the recipe of which I will not include as it was a rushed experiment and had I actually thought it out ahead might've turned out good.
Let me know if you decide to try out your own variation of Spaghetti Napolitan. I'm sure they are better combinations out there. I just worked with what I had on hand.

woo hoo! You go girl!
ReplyDelete